Established in 1903, Sprott Shaw College is a private post-secondary institution with 16 government-designated campuses across British Columbia. We take great pride in educating and preparing our students for rewarding and relevant careers in Administration, Business, Trades & Design, Nursing & Healthcare, and Child, Family & Community Support.
Sprott Shaw College is the subsidiary company of CIBT Education Group, one of the fastest-growing companies in BC according to Business in Vancouver. As an organization, we cultivate professional growth and positive working environments for our employees, which fosters our values of Community, Diversity, Integrity, Quality, Respect, and Results-Oriented.
Reporting directly to the Campus Director for staffing and operational issues, the Practical Nursing Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Practical Nursing Program to meet the educational requirements for students registered in the programs.
- Provide effective oversight of the Campus practical nursing (PN) and health care assistant (HCA) programs to ensure that the program is fully compliant and delivers a positive student experience and outcomes
- Ensure that the program is providing students with the best possible support for success in writing the Canadian Practical Nursing Registration Exam (CPNRE)
- Report to the Campus Director on all student and Instructor concerns and program related matters.
- Assist in the interviewing and hiring of new practical nursing instructors
- Monitor, orient, and assist in the evaluation of new instructors
- Contribute to curriculum updates
- Conduct the entrance interviews with all PN student candidates.
- Act as a campus liaison for the Practical Nursing Advisory Committee
- Liaise with classroom and clinical instructors to problem-solve
- Work with SSC’s Director of Nursing and Healthcare Operations to secure Affiliation Agreements for practice education sites
- Maintain a positive relationship with all with practicum sites
- Work with SSC’s PN Clinical Placement coordinator to organize preceptorship placements for practical nursing students
- Where/if applicable, work with SSC’s HCA practice education placement lead
- Participate in regular conference call meetings, and attend SSC in-person conferences and meetings
- Document accurately on decisions and actions; record details and maintain files
- Ensure that all evaluations and documentations are completed and ready for compliance audits as scheduled
- Organize and post lab schedule(s) for both PN and HCA (if applicable)
- Ensure all supplies (uniforms, name tags, textbooks, resources, etc.) have been ordered and received
Qualifications and Education
- Current practicing license as an NP, RN or RPN with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM)
- A credential in adult education (completed or in progress) or a willingness to undertake if appointed to the role. To be completed within 2 years of hiring date.
- Five years of recent, relevant practice experience (equivalent to full-time hours per year where full-time hours are 1800-2000 per year).
- Management/leadership experience
- Teaching experience considered a benefit but not essential
- Able to communicate effectively with others in the nursing profession
- An understanding of the clinical practice of nursing
- An in-depth knowledge of the diverse organizational environments in which nurses and Health Care Aides (HCA) practice
- Able to lead, coach and problem solve in an educational setting
- Analytical thinking
- Network and relationship building
- Planning and organizing