Established in 1903, Sprott Shaw College is a private post-secondary institution with 16 government-designated campuses across British Columbia. We take great pride in educating and preparing our students for rewarding and relevant careers in Administration, Business, Trades & Design, Nursing & Healthcare, and Child, Family & Community Support.
Sprott Shaw College is the subsidiary company of CIBT Education Group, one of the fastest-growing companies in BC according to Business in Vancouver. As an organization, we cultivate professional growth and positive working environments for our employees, which fosters our values of Community, Diversity, Integrity, Quality, Respect, and Results-Oriented.
Reporting to the Campus Director and under the guidance of the Practical Nursing Coordinator, the Practical Nursing Instructor is responsible for delivering components of the Practical Nursing program to students.
- Instruct curriculum using only pre-authorized or Sprott Shaw materials
- Take part in our program TEAMs and contribute to maintaining the curriculum for the betterment of the program
- Organize and be responsible for instructor materials
- Distribute and explain course outlines at the beginning of every class to every student
- Define daily objectives and begin with an overview of the daily lesson plan
- Distribute textbooks and materials at the beginning of the course
- Check inventory and order lab supplies as needed
- Administer all assessments as closed book (exceptions are noted on the specific course outlines) and according to guidelines and procedures
- Grade and check daily work, projects, and quizzes in a timely fashion according to guidelines
- Follow procedures for administering, recording grades, and filing assessments
- Mark in a timely fashion and according to the guidelines provided
- Maintain attendance sheets accurately
- Set a professional example
- Assure that classrooms and labs are left in a clean and orderly fashion at the end of class
- Allow every student the chance to evaluate the course and teaching methods using the student evaluation form at the end of every course
- Use the Classroom Observation Worksheet to guide teaching practices
- Provide Head Office with an evaluation of each course taught
- Offer assistance to other faculty and staff
- Cover all material for the week, in a condensed form if necessary to provide for holidays or professional days
- Participate in grad functions
- Attend faculty meetings and in-service training sessions
Qualifications and Education
- Current practicing license as an LPN, NP, RN or RPN with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM)
- A credential in adult education/equivalent or in-progress from an accredited post-secondary institution; to be completed within 2 years of hire date
- Three to five years of recent, relevant practice experience. For Coordinator position—5 years nursing background, knowledge and experience
- Other relevant undergraduate degrees or professional qualifications degrees may be considered to teach the following courses (i.e. being registered with the College of Pharmacists):
- Pharmacology (e.g. undergraduate degree in pharmacy, two years of hospital pharmacy experience, registered with the College of Pharmacists of BC);
- Professional communications (e.g. undergraduate degree in a Human Services field or discipline, or Counseling Psychology);
- Anatomy and Physiology (e.g. undergraduate degree in biology, physiology, physician, or equivalent education and experience). Physicians may only teach Anatomy and Physiology
- Knowledge of MS Office and database systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Service orientation
- Planning and organizing
- Network and relationship building
Must have a valid nursing license. Experience with long-term care or acute care patients is required. Ability to take clinical shifts is an asset. Teaching experience is valued.
Please note that due to the volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please do not contact the campus directly.