Are you motivated by using your talents to support others? Come work for one of BC’s top private colleges!
Established in 1903, Sprott Shaw College is a private post-secondary institution with 16 government-designated campuses across British Columbia. We take great pride in educating and preparing our students for rewarding and relevant careers in Administration, Business, Trades & Design, Nursing & Healthcare, and Child, Family & Community Support.
Sprott Shaw College is the subsidiary company of CIBT Education Group, one of the fastest-growing companies in BC according to Business in Vancouver. As an organization, we cultivate professional growth and positive working environments for our employees, which fosters our values of Community, Diversity, Integrity, Quality, Respect, and Results-Oriented.
Reporting to the College Director and the Employment Services Coordinator, the Employment Services Specialist supports current students by facilitating the students’ success and job search training, following up on existing students and graduates with solid career development advice, and monitoring students’ progress on student loan repayment. The Employment Services Specialist will develop relationships with local employers, businesses, and government agencies to benefit the employment opportunities of our graduates. The duties and responsibilities may require flexibility in work hours.
The ESS will be supporting the Employment Services Coordinator:
• Collect and analyze current labour market information in areas where SSC provides training
• Provide input on labour market information, placement results by program, and other relevant information to evaluate current curriculum content
• Develop, implement and/or maintain a database of graduate employment activity
• Keep detailed records of employment statistics for a monthly report to use in the compiling of reports for regulatory bodies
• Provide statistics and reports as required
• Prepare for the graduation ceremonies
Aiding the students’ success and job search training:
• Facilitate two classes: Strategies for Student Success as well as Career and Professional Development.
• Evaluate current Career Planning and Management course and provide input to improve product given to our students
• Counsel students regarding career or vocational issues including career exploration and planning, resume and cover letter preparation, job interview skills, and job search strategies
• Provide ongoing guidance, follow up support, and assistance of all graduates until employment is obtained
• Conduct exit interviews
• Provide employers with academic references
Monitoring progress on student loan repayment:
• Ensure the student loan repayment procedures are followed
• Work in conjunction with the Financial Administrator and Administrative Assistant regarding required information entered into databases
• Work with graduates on their financial plan regarding their student loan payments
Developing relationships with local employers, businesses, and government agencies to benefit the employment opportunities of our graduates:
• Create and maintain a campus job board by calling and visiting employers, want ads, and being involved in community events and organizations (i.e. Chamber of Commerce, Board of Trade, Community Job Fairs)
• Promote the “Hire our Grads” link from the SSC website to all employers who post leads
• Initiate, promote, organize and host events at the campus with local employers and government agencies
Performs other related duties as required
Qualifications and Education
• Undergraduate degree, college diploma, or certification in employment counselling, career development, or in a related field, such as human resources development, psychology, education or social services is required.
• At least two years’ experience in the career development field
• Experience in Adult Education an asset
• Knowledge of Canada Student Loans and Student Aid BC policies and procedures an asset
• Excellent computer skills: MS Office and database entry
• Superior written and verbal communication as well as interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and problem-solve
• Strong job task planning and organization
- Service orientation
- Planning and organizing
- Networking and relationship building
What we offer
- Reimbursement of Practicing license or Professional Association Membership fees
- Tuition discount for Spouse and Children
- Long Service Awards Program
- Employer-paid training such as Indigenous Awareness and LGBTQ2+
- Reimbursement of tuition costs for attaining Adult Education Credential.
- Disability and Life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Extended health care (Dental, Vision, paramedical)
- Flexible schedule, work-life work life balance
- Eligible to participate in a Registered Retired Savings Plan and the Deferred Profit Sharing Plan
- 5 sick and 2 personal leave days a year for full-time employees
- Education and Training allowance
Commitment to Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Sprott Shaw College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes all applicants to apply and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, gender identity,
- Application Process: Please apply with a cover letter and resume on this site.
- Application Deadline: The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified.